Tech-enabled virtual healthcare systems is a buzzword of today. It is gaining popularity with time in spite of the fact that affordability and accessibility has been the biggest challenges. Patient Portals are gaining popularity amongst various models of virtual care delivery.
Patient portals are providing continuous connection between patients and healthcare providers. Patients can easily access administrative, clinical and financial functionalities. These portals are provided by healthcare organizations, hospitals and physicians.
Patient Portals can be standalone or integrated with HER or healthcare specific vendor.
EHR- Integrated Patient Portal: These portals show all patient related information like problem confronted, medication list, health vitals, lab results, face-to-face appointments, facility for conducting e-visit etc. Patients can also ask for public assistance from various providers.
Standalone Patient Portal: They are integrated with Healthcare information exchange(HIE) systems. HIE mobilizes the clinical health information amongst various healthcare information organizations, generally in a specific region, community or hospital.
- Increased Patient Engagement with e-Visits
A technology enabled, remote consultation set-up between a patient and a physician (or any healthcare provider) is called an e-visit. This may include an elementary diagnosis, prescription requests, taking consent over a process or medicine etc. Such model of care delivery is generally rendered through chat(text, audio, or video enabled).
- These visits save a lot of time and money (travelling cost) at both the ends.
- During virtual visits, Patients get the feeling that they are given more attention.
- Appointment Booking with Healthcare Providers
Virtual healthcare portals connect patients to verified doctors within your area and book an appointment, at a convenient time and location. These online platforms enable patients to know more about doctors, read their reviews and they can choose the best doctor for a problem.
- Patients can choose from available time slots and days for consultation purpose.
- Patients can choose any doctor on any location they want.
- Maintain Electronic Health Records Safely
Patient’s health record is safely stored electronically. This information is used by healthcare provider to which patient is connected to.
- Patients can share their health records with doctors.
- Continuous monitoring of patients health can be done.
- Manage Chronic Diseases at Low Cost
Diseases like arthritis, diabetes, asthma and stress etc. require continuous monitoring for any variation which can result in change in medication. This may require frequent visits to doctor causing inconvenience to the patients. Hence, eVisits play a vital role.
- eVisits are far more convenient.
- Doctors can also manage their availability in case of cases which not emergency ones.
As patient have various facilities available across they get better care delivered. They can access health records and can also mange minor illness without even meeting face-to-face.
It is a win-win situation for both patients and healthcare providers. Patients can get low cost consultation in case of non-emergency followups, showing the reports or change of medication.